Monday, March 31, 2014

Thing 7: Content Saving & Sharing

For this thing, I decided to try Bitly, since for whatever reason I have an aversion towards being a Pinterest user - I'm convinced other men aren't using it...  ;-)

I don't tend to share a lot of links on Facebook, Twitter, or whatever, but I when I do I can see the advantage of having the ability to shorten the link URL.  The whole aspect of having the links in the cloud that I can access from anywhere does appeal to me as well.  With my iCloud account, my Safari links are accessible from both my Mac at home and my iPhone.  But at work I use a PC, and I can't access my bookmarks on that computer from home, and vice versa.

The ability to track how often my links are getting clicked on is a feature I probably wouldn't pay much attention to, but I think it is interesting.  If I share a link on Twitter or Facebook, I guess I would be curious how many of my followers or friends actually click on it.

I see myself using this app for shortening URLs in things I post on social media sites.  I also see myself using it to collect temporary bookmarks of stories that I think I might share with friends, some of which will likely be library related. 

1 comment:

  1. I am sure there are a couple of men on Pinterest:-) I personally love Pinterest, but I really use bit.ly a lot for link shortening and sharing. Makes it easier on Twitter and other social media sites, as you noted.

    Hope you continue making progress through the Things. Remember, you can ask for badges to be posted on the main site and for your blog!

    ReplyDelete